If you’re reading this, you’re probably looking for a solution to fix your annoyingly loose uPVC door handle. In this blog, we’re going to run through what causes door handles to become loose, before showing you how to replace uPVC door handles.
Why Do UPVC Door Handles Stop Working?
There are a number of reasons that can cause a uPVC door handle to stop working properly or even break completely. This can be incredibly frustrating (of course the handle’s going to break on a busy weekend!) and often people think it will be an expensive fix due to the door needing to be replaced completely. This isn’t always the case though and there are many ways you can try to fix your faulty door handle.
These methods are simple and easy to follow, even if you’re completely new to DIY.
So, What Exactly is the Cause of Your Broken Door Handle?
Usually, a door handle breaks because of general wear and tear. Door handles often become difficult to move and lock the older they get. This is due to the mechanism becoming old and worn out over time. Sometimes the locking system in uPVC doors can become stuck, which makes it very difficult to unlock and open doors.
There are a number of other problems that could be causing your door handle problems, including:
- Screws that are too tight – this often leads to the backplate of the handle pinching the lock. This prevents the spring in the handle from working the way it should.
- The internal springs inside the handle may stick to the inside of the backplate if they aren’t regularly lubricated or if they become rusted due to any water damage.
- If there isn’t enough clearance behind the backplate of the handle than this can prevent it from turning freely and operating correctly.
- The spring mechanism can also just be faulty, or suddenly fail within the lock (or the lever handle) which will also stop the handle from working.
How Do You Fix A Loose Handle On A UPVC Door?
Luckily, there are a few ways to fix the issues you’re having! First, you can try removing the handle altogether and giving it a good clean to see if this fixes the problem.
If it doesn’t, you can try the following tips and tricks to get your door handle working the way it should:
- To make the handle easier to move, try to loosen the screws that attach the handle to the door.
- Remove the handle from the door and try to use it while holding onto the backplate. If the handle still doesn’t work freely, you can try pouring some grease on to it – which will allow it to work within the mechanism. This should also help stop any binding that is occurring within it. After you’ve done all of this, attach the handle back to the door and see if it has made it any better.
- If you have an issue with the latch in the door, it’s more than likely the gearbox mechanism that has failed.
If you can’t fix your problem using any of these handy tricks then it may be time to buy a new handle for your uPVC door.
If you need any new or replacement parts for your uPVC door handle, then why not check out our uPVC door handle store for all your needs!